Hi there, welcome to my blog.

What's this all about? Well, that's a question I'm probably not even qualified to answer. I guess it started off because I had nothing better to do, but turns out that I kind of like it. So when I'm not working for The Man I like to take pictures, make videos and write about whatever else might seem like a good idea at the time.

From dragon boating to mountain biking, to road trips and travels overseas - this is me trying to enjoy life. Clock out at 5, eat, drink and don't forget to smile a lot.

Disclaimer

This is a personal blog, all opinions expressed are meant to be in good fun - if you are offended by heavy sarcasm and jokes that are in poor taste then this is not for you. If you have any copyright related issues please contact us via messenger pigeon.

 

Wednesday, March 24

Damn the Tax Man!!

This time of year, aka tax time, has always been a wonderful time of year. Since my income is no where near baller status I have always been happy to accept a nice bonus from the government, especially while in university when my tax refund kept me afloat for the rest of the semester.

As I collected all my papers and such to get ready for a phone date to do taxes my dad (yep, I'm 26 and my dad still does my taxes) I just imagined how big my refund would be. Let me tell you I was most upset to find out I OWE the goverment money. I wondered how it's possible that I owe taxes when I didn't have an income for a good 4 months of the year? (Side note, next time I move across the country, have a job lined up).

Here's how they screw you/I screwed myself and didn't know it. It turns out that having multiple jobs, even if they are short term/part time, isn't the best idea. Two of my jobs didn't deduct any taxes and then when all of my incomes were added together it bumped me into a higher income bracket. Add in the un-taxed income and I'm getting set to write the feds a cheque. I probably should have paid more attention to the tax forms I signed when I started each of these jobs.

So the part time job that I've had since September could have actually done more harm then good. The irony is that I had the second job to earn extra pocket money but in reality, half of what I made while working job #2 is going back to the government. Awesome.

I quit job #2 last week so maybe next year will be like the good ol' days with an April bonus...or this could be the start of a lifetime of paying taxes.

0 comments: