Hi there, welcome to my blog.

What's this all about? Well, that's a question I'm probably not even qualified to answer. I guess it started off because I had nothing better to do, but turns out that I kind of like it. So when I'm not working for The Man I like to take pictures, make videos and write about whatever else might seem like a good idea at the time.

From dragon boating to mountain biking, to road trips and travels overseas - this is me trying to enjoy life. Clock out at 5, eat, drink and don't forget to smile a lot.

Disclaimer

This is a personal blog, all opinions expressed are meant to be in good fun - if you are offended by heavy sarcasm and jokes that are in poor taste then this is not for you. If you have any copyright related issues please contact us via messenger pigeon.

 

Sunday, March 28

Lobster sashimi what?

So I seem to misinterpret a lot of things (like constantly) because of my general lack of knowledge probably because I can get over excited about pretty much anything. This tends to lead to my imagination running off in the wrong direction and then I just get confused when things don't turn out the way I expected...

For example I went to this place called Tako Sushi the other night and when I first heard the name I naturally assumed that it was Mexican/Japanese fusion. When we got there I saw the sign was actually Tako instead of Taco and was kind of disappointed, but it actually made more sense since we were supposed to go there for teppanyaki.

It started to get confusing when we got inside and instead of Japanese people there were Taiwanese people speaking Mandarin. On top of that I was even more confused because apparently I been associating teppenyaki with the wrong thing for a while now. According to Wikipedia:

Teppanyaki (鉄板焼き, teppan'yaki?) is a style of Japanese cuisine that uses an iron griddle to cook food. The word teppanyaki is derived from teppan (鉄板), which means iron plate, and yaki (焼き), which means grilled, broiled or pan-fried.

They don't mention the tricks and fire but yeah there's some of that as well. I've seen it before, ate it before and even had conversations before but for whatever reason the terminology just went over my head or something. I'm going to blame the whole confusion on me never really paying attention to you restaurants naming their restaurants inappropriately. I don't know what Tako means, but couldn't it have been called something like Tako Teppanyaki to better reflect the name? One of the other places I've been to was called Tokyo Teppenyaki and that had nothing to do with iron griddles and was actually a sushi buffet. And what about Teriyaki Experience, but isn't the preparation method more important than the sauce in that case. What up with that?

Anyway, to tie this story into the title we decided to eat some lobster just like everyone else would on a Friday night (right?) and when they asked us how we would like the lobster prepared - the guy was like teriyaki or sashimi? That was a first. While it's not uncommon to eat fresh raw seafood I've never really put lobster into that group. I've heard of fish, horse and chicken sashimi but never that.

Anyway, I took the teriyaki option because I was scared to get the runs I was taken by such intense surprise but I think I'd actually try it the next time when I'm guaranteed the freshness....maybe.

0 comments: