Hi there, welcome to my blog.

What's this all about? Well, that's a question I'm probably not even qualified to answer. I guess it started off because I had nothing better to do, but turns out that I kind of like it. So when I'm not working for The Man I like to take pictures, make videos and write about whatever else might seem like a good idea at the time.

From dragon boating to mountain biking, to road trips and travels overseas - this is me trying to enjoy life. Clock out at 5, eat, drink and don't forget to smile a lot.

Disclaimer

This is a personal blog, all opinions expressed are meant to be in good fun - if you are offended by heavy sarcasm and jokes that are in poor taste then this is not for you. If you have any copyright related issues please contact us via messenger pigeon.

 

Thursday, August 11

What you know about whisky?

Banana Boat was out last night to celebrate a teammate moving on to bigger and better things in Ireland and it got me thinking about a couple of things...

First: that's some scary and interesting stuff, folding up shack and moving to another country at the drop of a hat. For a lot of people any sort of change is terrifying, especially if it requires you to leave things behind or make sacrifices. To abandon the familiar, take on something brand new (especially on such short notice) and to jump into it without knowing where you'll even stay or any friends/family there who could help you out is some gutsy business.

Change is good though and adventures like that build character...unless it somehow leads to your demise.



Second: meeting up at Oliver and Bonacini Cafe Grill, it seems like everyone works and lives downtown (and dress nicely). And people downtown, really like to hang out downtown after work. It's convenient, fun, you just walk/transit anywhere and there's always something to do.

The city is where the action is and by my broad estimation, if I were to ever live there, I'd be bankrupt in 6 months.



Three: I don't know jack about whisky. Or is it whiskey? Kev and I cracked a bottle of his Lagavulin 16 year for our drinking pleasure but it was pretty rough (at first anyway). Maybe it's because the flavor of Islay whiskey is so different from north american stuff that I think it tastes so weird, but you can really taste that brown water and peat (I guess)...and it burns and gives you the chills...like drinking windshield washer fluid.

We tried to do it right and be classy - no ice, no water just the whiskey itself and some sipping action - but the flavor is overwhelming when you slosh it around your tongue you get that full blown burn like an ethanol explosion in the back of your throat. They had it at O&B for $13 a pop, so it's gotta be good right? I dunno, but it wasn't as smooth as Johnnie Blue so I'll stick to that if I ever feel like dropping cash on classy booze...

But in all fairness, this is coming from guys who use to live off $2 Faxe 10% in first year and those gents in the UK are probably saying the same thing about our drank as well so...



So I'm nearly done the BB edit for Woodstock too and I'll have to admit that choosing a song is very hit or miss. While I'm a tyrant and basically dismiss any song suggestions that people try and suggest to me, most of the music I enjoy listening to is not what other people really like so haters can hate all the way to iTunes for all I care. Creative freedom right?

0 comments: