Hi there, welcome to my blog.

What's this all about? Well, that's a question I'm probably not even qualified to answer. I guess it started off because I had nothing better to do, but turns out that I kind of like it. So when I'm not working for The Man I like to take pictures, make videos and write about whatever else might seem like a good idea at the time.

From dragon boating to mountain biking, to road trips and travels overseas - this is me trying to enjoy life. Clock out at 5, eat, drink and don't forget to smile a lot.

Friday, December 2

Re-calibrate your iPhone 4 home button / Wing sauce all over it

The problem with anything mechanical is that the mechanism always stands a chance of breaking. There's only a handful of buttons and switches on the iPhone, but ever since 5.0.1 I seemed to have a lot of problems with the home button being "unresponsive" for some reason.

At first I assumed it was because I eat a lot of candy that my hands were just making the button all sticky, but after having a closer look there's not much room for crap to sneak in and if it does my S. Jobs have mercy on your soul. I'm not sure i that's the case and it might even a loose connection or something inside - I don't know and I'm not willing to completely disassemble the thing to have a look.

Anyway after scouring the net and the Apple support forums, it turns out this is a somewhat common problem and I found this step-by-step on how to re-calibrate the home button.

I don't know how much truth to this or if it's just some due spreading propaganda but we'll see. If it does do something my guess is that it resets some sort of sensitivity setting for the button press. I went ahead and tried it - here are the steps:

  1. Open any app.
  2. Press the power button until the slide to power off option appears.
  3. Let go of the power button.
  4. Press and hold the home button until you return to your home screen/app pages.
I did it and the process worked as described but like I said, I'm not exactly sure what it does. So far so good though because the situation seems to have improved...or I'm just fooling myself. Who knows?

In other news, my plan of saving money by just playing video games worked out pretty well in October/November. My VISA statements were pretty bare, but then I recently started XMAS shopping. THE FLOOD GATES ARE OPEN.

0 comments: