Hi there, welcome to my blog.

What's this all about? Well, that's a question I'm probably not even qualified to answer. I guess it started off because I had nothing better to do, but turns out that I kind of like it. So when I'm not working for The Man I like to take pictures, make videos and write about whatever else might seem like a good idea at the time.

From dragon boating to mountain biking, to road trips and travels overseas - this is me trying to enjoy life. Clock out at 5, eat, drink and don't forget to smile a lot.

The Time Machine

Disclaimer

This is a personal blog, all opinions expressed are meant to be in good fun - if you are offended by heavy sarcasm and jokes that are in poor taste then this is not for you. If you have any copyright related issues please contact us via messenger pigeon.

 

Friday, November 5

Us in Japan: Day 5 - Tokyo's Tsukiji Fish Market is insane...ly awesome

Well we managed it. Woke up at 3 and literally was the last person to get admitted to the tour. No joke my sister was 69/70 and I was 70/70. I have the ticket to prove it. I would have cried in public if we didn't make it. Seriously.



To make things even worse I pulled the one of the biggest rookie mistakes of all time: forgot to check my battery. To make a long story short, I packed my camera in my suitcase because I had to leave my luggage at the hotel and didn't want to lug much stuff around and I guess something pressed something because it ran the battery down to zero...so another day with the iPhone and GoPro.

Anyway, the market was intense and one of the coolest things I've ever seen. The tour was actually just to see the tuna fish auction but thank goodness we got in. The tunas were gigantic and it was a huge ordeal with the picks, rubbing the oils from the tail, smelling and bidding. The way they judge quality is impressive. The intensity level was definitely up there and so was the volume. For sure a once in a lifetime kind of sight, which was totally worth it.







an entire tuna cost a shit load. It's no wonder why the people who buy them treat them with such respect and attention to detail. Watching them work was amazing. It's not like the 16 year old kid making your Big Mac at McDonald's...





We then followed to have the most awesome sushi I've had in my life there at like 7:00 am. I don't know how I can possibly eat at Prince or Wasabi after having it literally a few feet from the source. The best way I can describe it was that everything was fresh and sweet. Like when you pick a peach fresh from the tree and bite into it and it drips all over your arms, but in terms of fish. The quality is exceptional. Use your hands to eat it!





We also managed to hit up Some shopping street, Roppongi hills and Electric City. Roppongi hills is like a baron mall for people who can afford Gucci, but Electric city is like every grown man's dream. Electronics, cell phone stuff, toys, camera gear, literally everything you can imagine that would make a grown man droll. Luckily I drooled on the floor. Just down the street was the Anime district. I don't have much of anything for there but yeah, people do dress up like that in Japan apparently.\







And it's official, my knees AND feet are mangled. I recorded one of the transfers we had to make off the subway and it actually was a 9 min up/down walk from one train to the next. Also, for the first time we got caught in come home rush hour traffic. It was so crowded I actually couldn't move my arms and people suits were just pressing up all up on me. It was brutal...that was around 4:30 heading back to our hotel area.




Anyway, this is going to be a super early night. I can't wait until Mt. Fuji and the hotsprings to rejuvenate away from this metropolitan city. I hope Kyoto will offer a nice change of pace as well.

1 comments:

Jeff said...

nice chronicles so far man, keep it coming.